Thursday 8 July 2010

Moths & River Warbler


Buff Arches


Magpie Moth


Buff Tip


Dot Moth


Buff Ermine


Privet Hawkmoth


Rosy Footman


Poplar Hawkmoth


Brimstone Moth


Eyed Hawkmoth


With the lull in birds persisting in the patch I have been setting the moth trap in the garden a few times to ease the boredom! With over 40 species found, above are the pick of moths that we have caught (or at least the ones I can ID!!). The only highlight bird wise has been the River Warbler near Haddiscoe which I twitched along with 300 others. It only highlighted how much I hate twitches with people getting really agitated at not seeing the bird and suprisingly very few seemed to listen to the great song, all they were after was a tickable view. I would have been happy to leave having just heard the warbler but just as I was thinking of leaving it showed and showed well. To end a pleasant evening, which also had hunting Barn Owls and Marsh Harriers at the warbler site, a Tawny Owl flew over my head while cycling home and just inside the patch boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment