Thursday 5 August 2010

Cley, Minsmere and Breydon


White Admiral


Muntjac

Grayling

A busy week has seen me touring a few of East Anglia's best known reserves. Firstly, I visited Cley on the 1st and was rewarded with a good mix of waders, several Spotted Redshank, Curlew Sands, Green Sands and an adult Yellow-legged Gull. The highlight of the day for me had a topical feel to it as news of a breeding colony had just been anounced, a group of 14 Spoonbills. Cley is one of my favourite reserves and it always has some birds to watch no matter what time of the year. A quick visit to Breydon that evening was rewarding as there were large numbers of roosting birds including 400+ Avocets, a Greenshank, Whimbrel and a Green Sandpiper (121). A Hobby flew over the hide chasing Swallows with no success!

A brief visit to Gorleston gave me the rare opportunity to do some local patch birding and an adult Yellow-legged Gull (122) at the river mouth was my first patch tick at Gorleston for a long time. The next one came along tenb minutes later when a dark phase Arctic Skua (123) flying south.

On the 4th I met my parents and took them around Dunwuich Heath and Minsmere. We cleaned up on the usual suspects, Dartford Warblers, Bittern etc and a couple of butterfly year ticks in Grayling and White Admiral (a new species for the UK for me) added up to a good day out. The most boring looking bird may also have been the most interesting of the day when we found the female Ferruginous Duck that has been hanging around. What a dull bird!!!!!!

And finally a brief visit to Breydon on the 5th produced a suprisingly early female Merlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment