Saturday 12 March 2011

Bergen

At the start of March I headed off to Bergen, Norway for a weeks seabird surveying onboard the GO Sars. Unfortunately I spent most of the time out there in high seas and carried out very little surveying and saw even less seabirds of any interest. I did have the luxury of a whole day in Bergen at the end of the trip and on a tip off from FPS I headed for the venicular railway that is situated near the city centre and heads up to the the hills that over look Bergen. Not only does it give you stunning views of Bergen and the fjords but it was also pretty good for birding. Nothing rare but it gave me a chance to catch up with Northern Bullfinch, Mealy Redpoll and Willow Tit at close quarters. I was suprised at just how big the Bullfinches were. It made me realise that if you were to stumble across these in the UK it would be pretty obvious! One bad thing about Bergen, £9.50 a pint!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment