Saturday 15 January 2011

Dropping valuable points!

News during the week came through that Aberlady was already on 56 points and counting meant I was exactly 50% behind the early leader (thankfully Ely is on a mighty 2 points!!). Nothing of note was seen in my work patch during the week, although I did have 6 Waxwings over my house on the 13th.

I managed my second visit to the Hopton patch today but again it was pretty dead. A quick visit to Lound Lakes (via Woodfarm Lane, male Bullfinch, Brambling, 2 Stock Doves & 6 LT Tits) had me counting many a feral bird, 130+ Greylags, 69 Barnacles, 3 Gypsies and a Barnacle/Canada hybrid. There was also 15 male & 13 female Gadwall, 6 Tufties and 3 male & 1 female Shoveler on the lakes. Another male Bullfinch and flock of 16+ LT Tits were along the lane leading to the lakes.

On the patch it started well with a Kestrel, 2 Sparrowhawks & 3 Egyptian Geese along Hopton old railway line. A large flock of gulls nearby held 100+ BH Gulls, 20+ Herring Gulls, 6 LBB Gulls, 2 GBB Gulls and an adult Med Gull. The sewage works and church were still pretty quiet again, the female Bullfinch was still in the same place as last week.

Along the coast things picked up. First, a dark-bellied Brent Goose flew in off the sea and I then picked up a feeding flock of gulls 800m+ out at sea. Most were Herring Gulls but there was one large 'white-winged' Gull. It was about the same size as the associating Herring Gulls but too far to ID as a Glauc or Iceland for definate. Typical, the one time I don't take my scope!!! The flock moved on south after about 3 minutes and the sea held little else, 31 Wigeon, 2 Mallard and a 1st winter Med Gull flew south.

So the years total is now 38 species (41 points)

No comments:

Post a Comment